PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Roadshow HONG KONG March.
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2023, 12:51
Zi Peng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dingleberry Handpump
I average 70-75 hours a month. Mostly Europe trips which are 7ish hours on average, 24 hours off and back. If it’s a morning start then it’s a 2 day trip of daytime flights, otherwise day out, night return which touches on 3 days. Easy stuff. One long haul a month crediting 28-32 hours. 42 days leave.

Working harder is the reputation, but not my experience. Far from it. Perhaps compared to a legacy home carrier, but not compared to CX. We must recognise that expat jobs are more productive. I am far better rested and less fatigued than I was at CX. Of course it is tiring to a degree, you’d be naive to expect otherwise.

Days off is 3-6 between trips. Only ID restriction is 2 local nights before a long haul if unacclimatised. ID travel is a different level in terms of the system and experience, and much much easier to get on. Live leave has allowed me to drop trips frequently.

I make slightly less than what I made as a COS08 SFO, very slightly more after HK tax. I have much more left at the end of the month. 12.5% pfund. Health insurance on a different planet to the CX ‘offering’. As is schooling.

As for Dubai, personal opinion but there is literally nothing I miss about HK other than friends, although all but a couple have left. If you think there’s nothing to do then that says more about you. The summer bears the same outcome as the dreadful, humid and thundery one. You stay under covers, which is a lot easier and more pleasant in Dubai. Restaurants, bars, services and recreational facilities are leaps ahead. Facilities are generally new and shiny and nice. The standard of consumer offering is significantly higher in terms of grocery shopping, deliveries, dining out. No risk of being sold rat in a package saying pork. People don’t spit everywhere and slash on the pavement. I’m not hated by the general populace. I don’t have to use public transport, which is certainly very good in HK. I get chauffeured to and from work and I have a car.

I and many others have purchased property. Nice apartments or houses for which the company provide a fair allowance for. Whether you want a big villa for your family or an apartment in a prime area, you have many options. This is absolute pipe dream stuff in HK. It’s ARAPA-esque paying down properties in half the mortgage term if you’re wise about it. Or just allowing you and your family to live somewhere you’re happy to call home.

Work environment is far better. None of the toxicity of CX. Great rapport with the CC, and it all makes for a far more pleasant flight deck environment.

As I said, there’s no comparison. Perfect? No. Far better? Yes.
Don’t know which fleet you were on but I never had any problem on the flight deck, quite pleasant actually. Loved to flight with the based guys which was a loss but atmosphere is still decent, even the ex 777 are nice ! They own the place ! Pilots are not the problem.
Few weeks ago’ a EK friend (not former CX, EK is his first civvy job) was in town and he loved it, he will start bidding for HK. Also told me a few not very nice stories about EK. So it is all about perspective and options.
By the way I applied myself to EK in anger but I am too old for them !