PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss at KMSP - 14th June 2023
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2023, 08:51
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WillowRun 6-3
I would be kicking down doors to make sure the legislation moves very significantly on both issues. That is to say, on both staffing levels and R/T sloppiness.

*Results = in the case of AA106 crossing the runway, what is the outcome of why that occurred? Is the reported labor union position, that the new procedures were crammed down aviators' flight bags without adequate union participation and consultation, proven correct? (which personally I anticipate will be proven correct). And what was the situation with the ATCO in Austin? I want answers!!
...)
AA106 : NATCA is generally very well informed and when they make a statement , it is generally correct and verfified.
Austin : Which anwers would you like ? hanging the controller in a public place ? The correct answer in my view is , lack of staff, combined with increasing amount of traffic post COVID, pressure to expedite and lack of proper supervision /training .
Here focus on Training and supervsion is probably the case, as I have heard from various sources. So let's not focus on individuals but rather on fixing the system , which is something the FAA has a very poor record of doing. Fixing the system will cause masive delays though, |Refresher training means taking out controllers from the rosters, Applying standard procedures and R/T will also seriously reduce capacity. This will be highly unpopular and the person ordering this will need strong political back up.