PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - $100K type rating bond???
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2023, 03:28
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Horatio Leafblower
Mach

Daylight Robbery? How so? They are not asking for the money up front.

It's a cost in the training. If the candidate completes the Type Rating and quits the next day, the above statement describes how far Pelican are out of pocket.
If you quit the day after the TR, they then have to spend it all again.

...but the Candidate does not, you see. The risk is all on the Operator.

They are looking for someone who will commit to 18+ months and I don't think that's unreasonable. Any operator needs to maintain a level of experience in the organisation and a pipeline of suitable Command candidates.

You can say anything you want in the interview about how long you intend to stay (and many will just tell 'em what they want to hear).
To me there is nothing wrong with this arrangement (although the amounts for wages do seem to gild the lily somewhat, I calculate about $20k for 14 weeks). They invest in the Candidate, the candidate gets to fly some pretty decent equipment (better than a Chieftain or a Metro, anyway) and after 18-24 months they are home free.
I'm actually with HL on this, for the most part.

If they'd asked you to stump up the $$ and have it repaid, or similar tot he Rex scheme, yeah, nah, hard pass. But if you aren't prepared to sign up with the company for a minimum two years given the $$ involved in recruitment, training etc, it's not an unreasonable ask that you don'tbaulk at repaying some of the training cost. I get the airlines are always in a state of flux and every new CPL and their dog want's to fly a shiny jet and would sell their grandmother to do so, but I also happen to be principled enough to not jump from job to job every 18 months if a company's given you a FT gig. Casual, perhaps, but FT in a twin turboprop gig? Nope. Maybe I'm a bit old school and out of touch though...

That being said, I do think it's a bit rich to ask you to repay your own salary if you pull the pin...
The following users liked this post: