PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - $100K type rating bond???
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2023, 01:14
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Horatio Leafblower
Sure, $95k is a lot of money but I bet you would sit in the interview and promise them you will stay for five years.
In my experience as an employer I have noticed a few patterns:

1/. Those who say they will stay forever usually have applications in with other operators as soon as they are checked to line.
2/. Those who commit to a time frame (18 months) and stick to it usually progress faster in their careers overall.

FlyPelican is a great first airline job. They are good operators working very very hard to make a go of it. $95k over two years? As others have said, doesn't matter if you are staying for two years.
Except that $95k is an obscene amount of bondage for a type rating which is of no use elsewhere. Potential financial stress awaits anyone naive enough to accept this deal (if it is as reported here). A $55k taxed salary would barely cover rent and electricity on the NSW Central Coast. A decent employment arrangement should have both parties reap some benefits from the liaison. This one doesn't seem to offer the employee much - other than a few hours on an extinct aircraft type.
As someone said, it appears to be their idea of a way to handcuff pilots during a perceived shortage.
Is bonding for amounts exceeding actual training costs legal?
How is such a bond secured?