PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss at KMSP - 14th June 2023
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 08:49
Compton3fox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jolihokistix
Certain emergency commands to be voiced three times, even?
In the UK, an instruction to go around is repeated once and followed by the word acknowledge. A few weeks ago, i was given GA instructions and it went like this: My callsign, Go around, I say again, Go around, acknowledge. To which I replied, Callsign, Going around.

A similar procedure is in place for conditional line up instructions. For example. Speedbird 1, behind the Air France A320 from the other side, line up 27 right, behind. The acknowledgment needs to be read back with behind ..... line up 27R behind...

The UK is not perfect and I don't doubt there is lots they could learn from the US, especially around simplifying controlled airspace, but from a phraseology POV, the US could do well to adopt some of the UK standards.

I recall an aircraft landing at KDEN a few years ago with a problem and they used the phrase "Roll the Trucks". Unfortunately the call was missed and the AFS had no idea there was an emergency. If the standard Mayday x3 had been used, I am sure all would have Immediately been aware.