PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Roadshow HONG KONG March.
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2023, 11:31
Matra 4EB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've spent several years not at EK but at the other airline, down the highway. Left long before COVID struck and on my own account. All I can say is, I wouldn't think for a second about going back.

There are no taxes? I remember paying 5% "communality fees", bills for aircon/elec./water/internet that were heavy and going up all the time, maintenance fees (whether I needed them or not; generally I rather fixed stuff by myself than having to rely on the maintenance team), and so on. Yeah, they don't call it taxes, of course, just mandatory fees.

Speaking about fees. Schooling fees are high and going up year by year, and you still pay extra for each activity for your child (we're talking of DHS 2.500 per semester just for swimming or for football in the afternoon). That wasn't a high-end school, but one which is at least not full of extremists who ask my kids to "convert" in the changing room. Still very bad with bullying, rude behavior, and an arrogant principal. I understand this might be normal for some cultures - and on a large scale it's how the whole UAE works, but we didn't particularly enjoy that. The standard of the school is "superior" and "outstanding" on their brochures, but you will need to really study and practice hard at home with your kids, if you want them to be able to keep up with the level of education required in your home country. Just because the school has an amphitheatre, computer rooms equipped with imacs, marble floors and an indoors swimming pool, doesn't mean your kid will learn French, chemistry and algebra - even though the school fees always include a report with straight A's to keep you happy!

Competitive salary - Okay, if I compare my net income in DXB and elsewhere, it's an impressive number. But it's just being taken back out of your pocket the same way, e.g. by having your rent increased by 15%. Prices of food in Carrefour are about double of what I pay at home. If you supply for a family of four, you're gonna walk out with zero at the end of the month. So you often have vouchers for a free glass of wine in a restaurant or "second kid eats free" at the brunch in the polo club, and your crew-id will entitle you for a 8% discount at the Bentley dealer? Amazing! The whole point of the UAE is to attract expats with an interesting salary, and making sure you spend it all here. Once they don't need you anymore, or you make just one wrong move, you're gonna see how much you are really worth.

Lifestyle is probably just as awesome in the UAE as it is in HK. You have shopping malls, shopping malls... oh, and did I mention shopping malls? That's where you sit in Starbucks, and engage in interesting conversations about weekend-getaways in the Atlantis, wellness trips to the Maldives, wonderful sundowners at the Rotana, and other must-dos, with all the other new-rich, bored people you live and work with. Or you go for a BBQ, have a few drinks, and share your expertise about the airline. Or do something else, swipe your credit card on the way out, and don't worry, the bank will offer you 36 easy installments at the end of the month.

Last edited by Matra 4EB; 21st Jun 2023 at 12:26.