PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CV cover letters
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2004, 07:34
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virginskid have you just cut and pasted that from a CV advice website? It looks very like some of the business CV advice I was given when I left the RAF. Unfortunately, it is of little relevence to aviation and, in particular, the airline industry. You are not applying for a singular, competitive, position within a commercial business department. You are applying for one of a number of non-competitive posts within an organisation which is primarily involved with safety. Paragraphs detailing 'why you are the best person for the job' (over and above anyone else) are likely to label you an egotist, and see your CV deposited straight in the DFO's bin. As will any use of words like 'implemented', 'designed' or 'synergistic' or any other marketing-speak b*llocks!

Your flying qualifications and flying experience are the meat of both the covering letter and, in more detail, the CV. Other experience is pretty much irrelevent unless it's related to airline operations, or you have no flying experience and you are applying for a sponsorship. Your own opinion of your suitability to occupy a seat in my, or my colleagues', aeroplanes is pretty much worthless. I, and my colleagues, will decide that once we have been convinced that your experience and qualifications make you a reasonable prospect for interview.

There is much good advice on this site and elsewhere about aviation CVs. Search for it. Do not be misled by advice that is intended for other areas of employment.

Scroggs

PS. I know that Pilot Pete will have more to say on this topic, and his advice is excellent. Read it carefully.