PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepotism in pilot selection
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2023, 07:15
OKSUP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by menekse
My only knowledge about airbaltic comes from the relevant thread in this forum and some google search. Seems it’s the first case of smoking gun found that’s why I mentioned it here and the purpose of that thread is to make a list of companies who act differently from those that publish. I shared my experience from another company but in that case weren’t any written requirements, so no hard evidence of nepotism.
I highlighted the interesting part of your post.
For the recruiters to assess the personality and attitude, have to invite you first.
How to invite someone who doesn’t meet the requirements? Cause he has a nice photo in the CV? CVs are about certifications and experience. Under transparent procedures, you have what they ask, they call you, you don’t have, they take your CV off the piles and throw it to the recycle. Otherwise each company would have to call thousands off people in each job opening just to check if they have a nice personality.
btw in airbaltic thread were posts regarding people who were not invited cause didn’t meet entry requirements. Logical assumption is that there was something “special” about these candidates and I don’t think it was their personality which made the hiring team to take their CV out of the piles and invite them despite the fact they didn’t meet entry requirements
And lastly, at ab topic some posters say that Czech pilots who got hired were flying L410 which is not FMS, EFIS etc, as ab asks, can you confirm that?
Again you're asking me to confirm things I cannot know, so I'm not going to do that. I don't know these Czech pilots you are refering to. But I know a bit about the Let, having lived in CZ for a while. It's a CS-25 aircraft. Some are EFIS equiped (from factory or retrofitted) with autopilot and FMA. Especially the ones operated in commercial pax in Europe (and to anticipate your next question that I see coming Sherlock , yes even Van Air has one Let with EFIS, FMA, FMS etcetc but retrofitted) True that the bush flying ones in Africa and Siberia probably aren't equiped with those. But I don't know more about those. The ones from Air Guyane though also have autopilot, EFIS and FMA, despite doing a bit of bush flying.
So my educated guess is that it can meet AB's requirements.

From the CV you can tick the boxes for the technical requirements, but you can also draw someone's profile. Like past experiences, outside of aviation, life experiences, studies, hobbies. Again, I'm no pilot recruiter so maybe it is different when hiring crews. But when I was recruiting, if I would get a CV with only qualifications matching my requirements, and no other information on the candidate regarding previous experience, hobbies and other non-job related info, I would put it last on my pile as I don't have enough information to assess if we will "click" with the candidate.
Bottom line is that you're not hiring a robot who ticks all your boxes or doesn't. You're hiring your future colleague with whom you'll have to work, with whom you'll have lunch breaks, with whom you'll spend a lot of time with. If you hire a person who ticks all the boxes, a genius in his field, but who's a total di*k with no affinities with the team, you set yourself up for failure.
But that's just my view on recruiting. Some companies may think otherwise and fair enough, it's up to them.