PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops
Old 20th Jun 2023, 00:45
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
4.02 Meaning of screened air service

(2) An operation of an aircraft is a screened air service if:

(a) all of the following apply in relation to the operation:

(i) the operation is a regular public transport operation or an open charter operation;

(ii) the aircraft has a seating capacity of 40 or more persons;

(iii) the operation operates from a designated airport or a tier 1 or tier 2 security controlled airport; or

(b) all of the following apply in relation to the operation:

(i) the operation operates from a designated airport;

(ii) the aircraft departs from the same apron as an aircraft (the other aircraft) that is operating a screened air service to which paragraph (a) applies;

(iii) the aircraft is scheduled to depart within the operational period of the other aircraft.

(3) For subregulation (2):

apron, for an airport, means an apron described in the document accompanying the TSP of an operator of a security controlled airport in accordance with subregulation 2.13(1B).

Looks to me like the only way in which an RPT or open charter operation in an aircraft with a seating capacity of 40 or more persons can escape being a 'screened air service' is if it operates from an airport that is neither a designated nor Tier 1 nor Tier 2 nor Tier 3 security controlled airport. (But, as with most of aviation in Australia, there are probably exemptions buried somewhere.)