PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2023, 08:05
42psi

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Navpi

As for the quotes i referenced being puff pieces, i beg to differ when you look at the CVs of those making the pronouncements.

They all originate from the same basic premise that Manchester Airport is as much about imports/exports as it is passengers. If you were to say to all those who attended that launch that freight throughput is down 50% via an artificial diversion of pure freight enquiries to other airport including no doubt some outside the group i suspect the overwhelming view would be one of astonishment.
Please don't take this as a criticism of your contribution.

I wouldn't probably have used the phrase "puff pieces" but I'm afraid I do agree with the sentiment.
​​​​​​
Public pronouncements by MAG are not just intended for the public!
They are also for the consumption of the shareholders and investors.

The investors want returns, not just from flying activities. They expect MAG to leverage all it's assets to create economic activity. A good example of this has been the development taking place in the surrounding areas over the few years. Some of this has nothing at all to do with flying passengers, freight or ancillary activity.

All of those statements are just a list of feel good encouraging pieces designed to basically say "aren't we doing well, keep investing in us, we have a plan, we're good at making money, investing in us is a sure fire winner, the geographical area can support a lot more than we're exploiting at the moment, if you're a local politician take note - if you support us in decisions you're area/region benefits "

Believe me, shareholders and board members probably need more" stroking" and assurances (as well as exemplary investment returns) than any other group.

Those same investors may also be involved in the surrounding business activities so want to see MAG doing things which will grow or support that.