PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tourist attempts to pull on the rotor brake in flight.
Old 18th Jun 2023, 19:11
dragon6172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SLFMS
I have to agree. Should the Pilot have said, that could possibly kill us or more likely ground the aircraft for maintenance with potential major parts replacement after we land….

“that will kill us” is sufficiently succinct and is irrelevant if it is accurate or not.

While I’m sure the engines will have no issue overcoming the braking action I wouldn’t want to bet my life on gears and drive shafts under stress’s they are not designed for plus potential fire in the RB assembly.
Every aircraft I’ve flown they give the rotor brake a red light. That is probably an indication on what the manufacturer thinks about the RB been on in flight.
For what it's worth, EC145 rotor brake light is just a yellow caution and the procedure is:
Check handle off
Repair before next start

So not even any landing/abort criteria. Maintenance inspection requirements are to check the disk for warping/heat damage and examine pads. The times I have had pilots start with the rotor brake on the disk has been ok, but typically pads will need to be changed out