PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2023, 23:43
Rutan16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 42psi
Appreciate what you say, I was trying to simplify the explanation as many contributors to this discussion seem way off the mark.

I think you'll find the commercial business generation is actually a group function, not an individual airport one. So consulting with a customer and informing them where its likely they will get the service they require is appropriate.

As for ammending the Handling agent agreement, yes that can be ammended and in recent years attempts have/are being made on various aspects.
But...... you can't amend it in a way that damages either party, no-one wins from that.

As for slots, perhaps poorly worded I guess. I'm not suggesting they "offer" slots, but a natural part part of the sequence is always going to be establishing if slots are available.

think you'll find the commercial business generation is actually a group function, not an individual airport one. So consulting with a customer and informing them where its likely they will get the service they require is appropriate.

MAG Group can and do promote the functions of the differing businesses and several other businesses which are not core aviation or even UK related, however each business must act independently that’s the legal bit.

As you might have noticed I have explicitly stated Manchester Airport in all comments and at certain junctions caveated ( not MAG Group) - They are two differing legal entities .

As for ammending the Handling agent agreement, yes that can be ammended and in recent years attempts have/are being made on various aspects.
But...... you can't amend it in a way that damages either party, no-one wins from that.

Whilst the terms of the franchises and awards are considered confidential there will be clauses, quality and delivery benchmarks .
In recent times I think the airport has allowed the handlers far too much leeway on their delivery and indeed their offering - Indeed I might go as far as saying their are evidently conflicts of interest between these “partners”

Is it up to the handlers to dictate which airlines and services Manchester Airport negotiate with - I call no it isn’t ( opinion)

In the case of Manchester Airport ground handling has been done by contractors for about as long as I can remember, with BEA/ Briitish Airways and Serviceair through the sixties , seventies and Menzies, DNATA, DHL, SWISSPORT and even self handlers such as Jet2 today.

That said I think that the new broom driving Manchester Airport seems to have more energy than has been seen for quite sometime and that “may” include recovering and promoting the place of cargo within the local portfolio.

Last edited by Rutan16; 18th Jun 2023 at 00:05.