PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2023, 14:55
trigonometry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChatGPTX
bananarepublic:
Money is one thing, getting a second citizenship is another.
Growing up in Hong Kong I have seen the ugly and glamours side of this city from the inside out. I can say without any uncertainty that I do not want to die in this place. Now there is a chance to become a citizen of another country and the door is not opened forever, I worry that if I wait for too long, the ship will sail. Canada has set a deadline which is 2026, UK is now thinking to extend the wait period from 5 to 8 years. The clock is ticking..On top of that, there is a cadet opportunity, which is the fastest and easiest way to get into an airliner..so hard to choose .That's why I wanted to know how you guys think particularly for the locals.

Hardrod:
My thought is exactly the same. A few of my colleagues make more than me and they have tendered their notice in exchange for a second passport. So hard to choose.
It might not be an easy choice to make, but it's actually not, it's quite an easy one actually, simply because, you are young, you have the time to kill, plus, you already have a PPL under your belt, and you are working towards to get your CPL, regardless if you get the cadet opportunity or not, that actually put you in a much much better position as opposed to someone who are in their early 30s or mid 30s who doesn't have any experience at all. It might be too late for them to do both. Take the citizenship route. Fold your life in HK for now and start a new life somewhere else. Once you have secured a second passport, then come back, Cathay will be more than happy to offer you the same opportunity as the one they offered you before, or else, they might take you on the DESO position, assuming if you continue to build hours and get the experiences while living in overseas. You are a smart cookie, if you managed to land in a job that gets you 60k a month now, you will do fine somewhere else. PM me if you need connection. I can help. Cheers.

FYI: Why HK is facing talent shortage? Because the ones that have left, they know they might not have the same opportunity again. Read on the news. https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...r-survey-finds