PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Nimrod cockpit LCD / MFD reverse engineering
Old 15th Jun 2023, 17:20
adriansmith31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sim25
Hi,
I can't help you out, but are you sure that the unit doesn't get any digital data signal via the other (not coax) pins? I have a Airbus CRT Display Unit together with a DMC here and there is a digital connection Airbus called DSDL between them.
Don't ask me what DSDL exactly is, I didn't find the time getting my setup working (Plus I don't have a 115V 400Hz AC source, yet). Apart from that the DUs receive a sort of digital component video from the DMC for weather radar display. Maybe your coax connectors have the same purpose?
I have the same problem... Getting information is really hard, CMMs would help, but honestly, I don't know where a private person should get those...

Simon
Hi thanks for the info. It definitely does take analog video input as the three coax cables eventually find their way to three analog video amplifiers which are then fed into an analog to digital converter. That then goes on to one of the ASCI chips. It may well take digital inputs too but I'm not aware of any. At least 16 pins are taken up by RS485 serial interfaces (which I cannot get anything out of) and the others appear to be control lines. It's very difficult to reverse engineer with the design of the unit and no information on the application specific chips that are used.

With the airbus displays the analog input is an option. I have a service & installation manual for one of the LCD's used in the A330/A340 but it is completely different to my unit.

Thanks,

Adrian