PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Descent management is hard
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2023, 16:10
Michael S

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twinotterifr
i understand it now, my biggest issue wasn't the altitude/distance calculation, more so the lack of situational awareness, i was getting overwhelmed by the descent itself being inexperienced and not making use of all the functions available to my advantage. I will list down everything that i have improved on since:

-Using traffic cues to predict the arrival
-anticipating shortcuts and using the DIR to TEMP function on FMGS to indicate track miles
-asking ATC how many track miles remaining on the intermediate approach to help my judgement
-using the ND rings to further support visually the amount of miles to a waypoint
-making full use of SPD/ALT constraint inputs on the FMGS to optimize the descent profile
-clearing the SPD/ALT constraints on the F-PLN based on ATC instructions
-updating the managed speed on PERF des page to recalculate the profile
-constantly calculating if the aircraft is high/low on profile between each waypoint rather than the referencing the total track miles only
-configurating the aircraft based on speed control on the approach rather than completely following SOP config distances (3:1 / 6:3:1)
-utilizing open des and V/S properly based on the profile
-better understanding of the theory when decelerating/accelerating, idle/geometric segments, managed/selected modes and applying them in the dynamic situations
-utilizing CRM and requesting the captain to conduct PM duties rather than to get intimidated and try to manage everything as the PF

well aware that this may seem very novice/amateur-ish to alot of people out there but these were the issues i was experiencing being new to the line, and maybe it could help out a brand new trainee out there in the slight chance
Actually, to my eye, it looks very mature.