PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAaus training advice
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2023, 08:16
haviator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Horatio Leafblower
My school schedules lessons 2.0-2.5 hours apart.
No way can you get a full hour of your instructor's time in a 1.5 turnaround.

Assuming you have done the Long Brief prior (I suspect there's no such thing), preflight briefing should be 15-25 minutes, preflight inspection/Daily Inspection 10-15 mins (25-30 if refuelling).

I can't see how your flying school can get away with less than a 2-hour booking for a 1.0 flight.
...but I am onl new at this so IDK.
Yep that's what I suspect as well - it's the 1.5h bookings that make it tough for the instructors and bad for us students. Another 30mins of allocated time per lesson would do a world of good for (almost) everybody involved.

We've not had any long briefings to be honest. Lessons usually go something like this:
- Preflight checks I've started doing alone now and they take me about 10-15mins. I do these while instructor is cleaning up the previous lesson.
- Preflight briefings are about 10-15mins but that's more my fault - I prepare religiously so there's not a whole lot of detail to cover pre-flight.
- Flight / lesson
- Post-flight briefing is the few minutes packing up the plane + the walk from the aircraft to the office.

Haven't had to refuel yet - I dare say if it take 20-30mins, this can kill the whole days schedule if lessons are booked back to back to back.

Based on the feedback here, I don't think I'm overblowing the situation and my gut feel about not feeling like I'm getting fair value / fair training is valid. I think I'm going to have to have a chat with the head of operations.
The following users liked this post: