PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAaus training advice
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2023, 06:26
haviator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PiperCameron
Welcome to the funny farm, haviator!

First off, the $$$ start ticking over the moment the engine starts so, depending upon how long it takes for the engine to warm up, taxi, do your ground checks (all for sure longer than 10 minutes) plus taxi back and park (possibly another 10 minutes) that's 0.3 hours right there. Added to your 34 minutes flight time is where you money is going. If the lessons feel rushed, it sounds like they probably are.
Yeah, I'd agree that it could be a little longer on ground for starting, doing checks taxiing etc. - it just doesn't feel THAT long especially since I'm getting quicker at doing checks, radio and getting up there now. I should actually time everything next time using a stopwatch to be sure. There's also +/- 0.1 error there due to whether hobbs meter just turned over or just about to turn over at engine start / stop.

Originally Posted by PiperCameron
If I was you I'd:
1. Book more time with your instructor to make up for the lost time on the ground - ask about 2hr bookings rather than 1.
2. Consider switching your initial training to FlyOnE's AlphaElectro: - there's one at Lilydale - which may work out cheaper $/hr at the starting-out phase of your training.
3. Find a new flight school, starting with booking a TIF (it's generally cheaper)

Good luck!
1. I've thought about that. I'll bring it up next lesson. 0.3 ground + 1.7 air is much more efficient than 0.3 ground + 0.6 air.
2. Good luck getting bookings on that at YLIL. Today the owner of flyoneE was there and had the whole day booked out for TIFs for "clients". It's not cheaper than the Vixxens I'd imagine anyway - Cheaper to run but not cheaper to hire.
3. No other feasible RAaus school this close to Melbourne unfortunately so I'm stuck.

Wondering if any point bringing up my concerns with them?