PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAaus training advice
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2023, 05:55
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
It would be interesting to know how the operator records time in service for maintenance, because that is one indication of aircraft running costs. If there is a disparity between what is logged for maintenance and what you are being charged, you are being ripped off.
There was a time gone by when engine tachometer was the only measure of what got charged, and what got entered in the maintenance release. The old tachos under-recorded at low RPM, so prolonged taxi time did not hurt the student’s wallet.
Good operators taught pilots to do run up checks expeditiously and from memory. They rightly did not want their air cooled engines subject to excessive ground operating time.
It was also common to do some checks, such as radio functions, then get clearances, then set up navaids etc before engine start.
If you are flying out of a quiet, uncontrolled airport, I can’t think of any simple single engine aircraft that needs in excess of ten minutes to warm up and complete checks of the very few items that need doing after engine start.
If you are in any position to negotiate (it’s your money), I would suggest actual air time plus 10 minutes is what you should pay…and log. That being a 7 minute allowance for start and taxi out and 3 minutes taxy in and shut down. Logging more time on the ground may be legal, but it’s bull**** because it has no learning value.
Some know-all will flame me for the preceding three sentences because it is not what the rules say about what a pilot should log as flight time. To which I reply in advance that rules are for guidance of the wise and for the blind obedience of fools.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 14th Jun 2023 at 06:13. Reason: Pre empting smart arse lecturers
The following users liked this post: