PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Coningsby Food Bank
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2023, 16:49
Diff Tail Shim

Received 139 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by langleybaston
The past is indeed a different country ...... I suspect that my generation is the Golden one, for which I am grateful.

In contrast to young folk's fortunes, this is my summary. Its not a brag, many of my peer group did better, few worse.

Definitely virtuous working class grandparents and parents, who made grammar school possibe. "If I can afford it, we can have it. Otherwise not".
Age 18 left school hatfull of O levels, 3 science A levels, entered MoD Met at lowest grade
23: married, wife stopped paid work and never returned, ever.
Age 31 family complete, four children
Had a proper UK holiday every year, always on property ladder, always had new cars and ran them for no longer than 3 years.
Ensured all children educated to 18, all with good A levels, two to uni, two to management.
Moved house at Her Majesty's command every 3 years or so.
Moved up greasy pole and up housing ladder.
Retired at 60 to nice village, 5 beds, been drawing super pension 26 years.

Regardless of military versus civil, that synopsis is unobtainable these days without the bank of Mum and Dad or a legacy. My grandchildren flatly disbelieve that we are not posh and privileged. The grandchildren married couples, house owners, with £100,000 combined salaries can not afford anything like my life-style.

I suspect this is the pattern in the developed world. That's Life.
​​​​​​​No mention of tax free cars from BFG. As a house owner did you also rent it out while living in cheap MoD housing? Just asking.