PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Coningsby Food Bank
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2023, 17:15
Jobza Guddun

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Skeleton
People can blame whom they like but from personal experience Pay as you starve, which as a SNCO I fought vehemently against, was introduced with little if any opposition.
Blame the people who used the messes at the time, the stampede from them to get it introduced, was frankly ridiculous. All they saw was a pound sign.
Shift workers missing 2 or 3 meals a week in their mess was a major factor in people's thinking.
It was always going to end in tears and I was laughed at for saying so at the time.
Completely agree. A vocal minority gave the illustrious leaders of the day all the excuse they needed to slash catering and bring in this model. The organisation has failed the youngsters, which at least in previous decades it tried not to do.

As a young singlie, if I ran out of money by the 20th of the month (never did!), I had 3 meals a day and a roof over my head. I had heating and hot water. Even if I could do no more than stay in and watch telly, I was OK. We had financially irresponsible people then, and we do now. The difference now is those people are sometimes hungry, have indifferent heating and hot water provision. Even some of the sensible youngsters are struggling.

It seems the only people puzzled by the outflow of people are those in the Bucks/Greater London area....
The following 4 users liked this post by Jobza Guddun: