PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Coningsby Food Bank
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2023, 13:51
Nil_Drift

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
The RAF wanted to employ those who reflect society. This is a reflection of society so should not be a surprise.

When I first joined the RAF and then married, my wife and I were a traditional family. We lived in a MQ and were initially kitted out with Barrack Store furniture. As and when we were able to afford our own furniture, we bought it and handed back the loaned furniture. If we couldn't afford things when I was a J/T we didn't have them until we could afford them.

Newly Commissioned, we bought our first house with a mortgage at 15.5%! We worked out what we could afford and bought within our means; the same with our cars.

True, all Service personnel have been ripped off by the Government in the past two decades and the AFPRB has not done its job properly. It should say "This is what the award should be ..." and leave HMG to say why it won't pay it rather than starting "We live in a time of austerity and we recognise that so take 1.5% as that's all HMG can afford".

Modern society has not helped today's younger generation. They want kids before they marry; they want to live in a 4 bed detached house filled with the furniture and goods that they see on TV; a new car; overseas holidays and a social life whether that be clubbing or eating out.

Part of me feels sorry for them that education and societal 'norms' have let them down but being in the military should be different. Personal discipline, support mechanisms, people-focused managers and a 'reasonable' income. I say 'reasonable' because I look at the job site "Indeed" and most jobs are at minimum wage or salaried at £24-26K. Now the Army is recruiting via Indeed and the starting salary is £33k. If Service personnel really need to go to a food bank, it sounds like personal mismanagement, for which they can get plenty of help to resolve both within and outside the Service.
The following 11 users liked this post by Nil_Drift: