PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airtours - UK based and routes
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2023, 13:05
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny G
Flew with K Tours a few times, firstly on the 707 to Palma in 78, then in 82 on the new 737s again to Palma also the Tristars to palma and Ibiza

The most interesting flight though was in 1984 to Alicanite on a Trident 3 (return the same) it was a late night charter in July and I am assuming it was using a night stopper T3. the aircraft was obviously operated by BA crews and it had a KT flight number. Does anyone else remember these? They were scheduled as a Trident (in the superb Manchester airport scheadule of services book) so it wasnt a one off. The return flight was also a Trident (ZZ going out ZG coming back)
AFAICR >>>
BA mainline bases at MAN BFS GLA EDI NCL and BHX all at one time or another did night time summer IT charters with their own aircraft - Tridents and BAC 1-11's then with 757 and 737 later on.
I think there were some flown from LGW too.
I did not know if there were some flown for KT, or if they always used BA flight numbers.

KT normally flew just from LGW and MAN, plus also from LTN and LBA flying in and out on W patterns.

BEA used to fly night charters too from London Airport and from other outstations, way back with Vanguards to BCN IBZ AGP PMI and VLC (before ALC got built)
I read also they may have gone to the old Menorca airport too.
Tridents also flew at night from LHR to Corfu, Rhodes and Heraklion, but I am not sure if these were YN ''night tourist'' fare Scheduled flights or if they were charters, or a mix of both.
I know Olympic Airways did these same routes plus Athens, also at night and these were charters.