PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tourist attempts to pull on the rotor brake in flight.
Old 12th Jun 2023, 07:37
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 441 Likes on 233 Posts
With regard to passengers touching things they shouldn’t, from past experience it’s a case of even if you think you’ve made something idiot proof, along comes a better class of idiot.

I was once tasked to fly a small party of civic officials, including the local mayor, in an RAF Gazelle. As part of the safety brief I told them not to touch anything, in particular not any door handles, to stay seated after landing until I had shut the aircraft down and opened the doors from the outside. Upon landing, before I’d stopped the rotors, the mayor pulled the rear door jettison handle, which worked as advertised. The passengers then got into their car and departed, leaving me with a broken aircraft in a field. The mayor didn’t even apologise, he simply pointed to the door lying alongside the skid. This was well before the days of mobile phones so it was a case of either refitting the door myself or staying there until overdue action was taken and someone came to look for me, whereupon they would have to go back and fetch an engineer to come and fix it. I took the first option.