PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dassault Falcon 900EX crash, San Diego
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2023, 16:26
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atakacs
As others have mentioned this is quite incredible in many ways. This level of negligence and incompetence is rarely seen, especially in the context of (relatively) high end private jets
Originally Posted by BFSGrad
Odd that the PIC was able to eventually produce a pilot certificate for investigators even though the 13Feb19 emergency revocation order required immediate certificate surrender with substantial daily fine for non-compliance.

Also dubious is the PIC claim that all the accident flight performance calculations were performed on his tablet, which he claims had been “destroyed.” The accident flight was certainly not of sufficient severity to destroy a tablet.

What are the insurance implications for the owner allowing a non-certificated pilot to operate the accident aircraft? Looked to be a nice, low-time jet worth some bucks.
Value of said jet is around $15-$20 million. Hourly charter rate is $10K, so if you fly the plane at least 200 hours a year (fairly typical for owner, if you fly less you go 135/91k), it's at least $2M/yr in cost. They probably saved a $100K a year hiring these two "pilots". (all according to the internet, I am not knowledgeable in this field). I am pretty sure if I was the insurance claims guy on this, I would not pay a dime. I think the owners should be prosecuted for negligence in operating the plane with these pilots. It is a stakeholder responsibility.