PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - D-Day: Prof. Fred Shotton's modified Photo Reccon Mosquito
Old 10th Jun 2023, 13:10
betterfromabove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D-Day: Prof. Fred Shotton's modified Photo Reccon Mosquito

Dear all,

Does anyone know where I may find out more about the modified Mossie that military geologist, Prof Fred Shotton, used to photograph the Normandy beaches to prepare for Overlord in order to asses their suitability for landing heavy vehicules?

Some questions that come to mind:
- I understand a special wide glass panel was installed underneath: Was this particularly unusual? Any other mods made?
- Where did it operate out of? Any information on serial number and its fate afterwards?
- What height did it operate at? It seems logical it was low-level.
- Being on the military staff, being on-board for the flight was not such an issue. Must have been a difficult choice for his superiors however: Do we know if there was any disquiet, considering how vital we now know wis work was for Overlord?
- Were similar geological phot reconn operations carried out elsewhere in WW2 (I realise most such operations post-WW2 are still embargoed)?

Some basic info on this topic here in this Geoscientist Magazine article on P.27: https://geoscientist.online/wp-conte...NOV2020_WR.pdf

Thanks for anything you can enlighten me on about this extraordinary operation!

BFA