PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2023, 16:14
Not_a_boffin

Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Just This Once...
10/17 number includes those alongside, returning for maintenance or repair, preparing to sail or just about to undergo a knee-trembling feasibility assessment to see if they will ever sail again etc. If you called a snap operation and sortied the lot (once suitably bombed-up) you would find a somewhat lower number. The competition for resources, including crews that are trained, ready and equipped, let alone with fully-serviceable sensors and full weapons fit, would induce tears.
While I wouldn't disagree with the overall thrust - and particularly the point wrt being bombed up and OPDEFs - at this particular point, I'd say the picture is a bit more positive than that. Of the T45s, three are relatively fresh out of maintenance periods and of the T23s I can only think of one that hasn't had an upkeep period in the last 12 months. That doesn't mean the issues in getting the ones that are awaiting or undergoing upkeep at Guzz don't need sorting, cos that will eventually bite.

It's also fair to say that just because we're aware of UK material state deficiencies, doesn't mean they don't apply to other navies across the board. Your point re USN Blue/Gold and impact on maintenance facs is also spot on.