PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Flight Planning
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2023, 02:54
deja vu

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
I couldn't agree more with Xeptu. If CASA want candidates to reach a specific academic level at least make them sit for exams that may be relevant in their chosen airline careers.
Like many previous posters I did the SCPL subjects in '68, I studied it with Noel Lamont, great guy. Anyway very little was useful except maybe to re-learn how to knuckle down and study. Many of my classmates had not flown even oen hour and most of us had never seen a DME or a VOR, so it was a purely an academic exercise then and apparently still that way. I'll never forget Question 1 of the Nav exam, SYD to NADI track and distance to be solved using Meridianol parts. No multi choice and all marks depended on the workings shown by the candidate, the answers depended on the accuracy of following the graphs, logarithms and the thickness of the lead in the pencil in Flt planning

Unsurprisingly ATPL subjects were just as useless in other parts of the world. In the late '80's I had to do the HKG CAD ATPL exams due to a bureaucratic hissy fit between DCA ( Aust) and CAD( HKG) at the time. Anyway the exams were made up by British CAA and were presented only a few hours different between the candidates in the colony and Blighty. There were around 7 subjects I think with 2 meteorology exams, instruments, radio aids, nav, Flt planning, some performance I vaguely recall. One of the mets. was based on a BOAC ( long since defunct) in a 4 engine piston powered monster multi sector flight from London to Cairo with a need to describe the expected weather en route and at each port for that time of year, the haboob, the mistral and any other local weather phenomena needed to be studied. Nought to do with the fragrant harbour and environs. To top all that of when all subjects passed it would not be recognised by the CAA as it required a CAA invigilator to oversee the exam. !!!!!!!