PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odds n Sods
Thread: Odds n Sods
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2023, 08:51
Asturias56

Received 369 Likes on 216 Posts
I worked for a VERY paternalistic US Company in the Far East one time

They had some guys (plumbers, electricians, handy men) who wandered round fixing the office, houses, bits of kit. One day a young guy (?17?) fell through a roof and landed on his head - serious brain damage. The Company had him in the best local hospital, they flew in people from Singapore, sent copies of his xrays etc to the USA, they set up Satellite calls (and this was in early 80's) with the top brain surgeon in Dallas and the local surgeons. He was out in 3 months, pretty much 100% (but with a truly frightening scar and dint in his head) and back at work.

The important thing is not that the Company did it, but they did it without thinking, or discussing it. No-one EVER mentioned the cost He was as much one of "us" as the 10 gallon hat wearing CEO on $ millions a year. "We look after our people". As you can imagine it they had a great deal of local loyalty.

I have worked for other N American companies - including one where the CFO said, in the hearing of a whole office, " I don't care who leaves - we can pick replacements up of the street..."

One of these two companies is still in business - guess.....................
The following 2 users liked this post by Asturias56: