PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.K. Nuclear accidents and incidents
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2023, 13:31
NutLoose

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,293 Posts
can you educate us for when I read the document.
I was on one of the Squadrons that used to Stand up on Q with them, when it happened it spread around the Squadrons like wildfire, all be it in hushed tones, obviously it never spread throughout the station as most would be unaware as to what we actually had on the Station or sometimes on the Squadrons..

I was once asked what we did over there by a fireman I knew, who arrived at the same time and shared transit accomodation early in my tour, I simply said we had aircraft on 24hr alert armed with 1000 pounders in case the hooter went off.

He was happy with that, he incidentally queried it because as a fireman they were told to fight any fire on site until their death basically and he couldn't understand why, so even most of the fire service didn't know.

Board of inquiry into the incident.

https://webarchive.nationalarchives....tInGermany.htm

I can remember there was a worry about the Jags sitting in Squadron HAS's armed with 1000 pounders over night and the security aspect after it was found you could cut the padlocks with a bolt cutter on the wicker? doors.. changes were made and super extra strong padlocks were fitted made from Kryptonite or similar... fast forward a few weeks and the fire alarm goes off in one of our HAS with a Jag and 1000 Pounders inside, Trumpton dispatch their finest engines to the said HAS and attempt to cut the padlock off to gain access...
Not a chance, Trumpton then dispatch a fire engine with lights a blazing back across the station and to the guardroom to book the keys out, then head back to the Squadron to unlock the door.... Luckily it was a false alarm. Short order, Kryptonite padlocks binned and normal padlocks refitted.

Last edited by NutLoose; 6th Jun 2023 at 13:58.
The following 2 users liked this post by NutLoose: