PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ‘Stop choosing useless white male pilots’, RAF told
Old 5th Jun 2023, 21:21
mymatetcm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
having grafted in northern afcos for 5 years, to get anyone of a standard for OASC or Halton was challenging, for airmen a good 75% would fail the selection test at the first go, from there on in if they passed the interviews, medical and fitness test we may have averaged 1 in 20 successful. This was irrespective of race, gender.we just processed the handoffs we received.
We invested a lot of time in promoting BAME initiatives spending a vast amount of what we knew was unproductive time. but we all bought into getting the best potential recruits giving it our best shot, Often working long days .nights and weekends attending a range of events aimed at BAME and any one who was interested in a career.with us.

its been mentioned the pool of available white working class candidates as shrunk to an all time low, if we cant make targets with our traditional northern lads and lasses to Fill all airman trades, how will we cope on the future?

This also replicates to the P2 officer cadre a dwindling pool of interested talent, Those who make OASC are rigorously screened, we didn't want to waste boarding officers time with very low calibre candidates ie in one interview for pilot, the following occured when i asked a candidate the definition of airpower he stated "its the noise an engine makes !
At this moment in time every one who applies irrespective of political shenanigans should be judged solely on merit and merit only.

Again my opinion is that "useless" was used in regards to BAME Female quotas and not a slur on a specific group, or at least i hope so.
The following users liked this post: