PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC Sonic Boom/Citation Down in VA
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2023, 15:01
BFSGrad

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by what next
But there is a much easier and non-technical way by which some of these accidents, including the one over the Baltic Sea referenced above, can be prevented: Employ a second pilot. Money seems to have been no issue here, the aircraft owners could even afford to donate hundreds of thousands of Dollars to politicians. What are a few hunderd Dollars per flight in comparison to that?
Are there any examples of a loss of cabin pressure event incapacitating one pilot while the other pilot maintained consciousness allowing for a successful emergency descent? I can think of at least two accidents (N47BA, Helios 522) where the 2nd pilot made no difference.

If this was a pilot incapacitation event unrelated to cabin pressure, a 2nd pilot likely would have safely landed the aircraft. However, initial reports seem to support the loss of cabin pressure. ABC News reported a “U.S. official” stated that the pilot was observed passed out. Had the other two adult passengers been conscious (i.e., not a loss of cabin pressure), I would expect the F-16s to have observed some activity onboard the aircraft, especially in the cockpit.

Regarding the comment that the owner could have spent more money on a 2nd pilot, wealthy folks tend to be risk takers. That’s usually how they became wealthy.

Some news reports are stating that the Citation violated or entered DC restricted airspace, triggering the NORAD response. The DC FRZ and SFRA extend upward to but not into Class A airspace. The Citation was in Class A at FL340 during the entire transit of the DC area. Seems likely the NORAD response was triggered as soon as ATC lost radio contact with the Citation, which would have been on the leg to ISP, which tracked well south of DC airspace.