PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The South China Sea's Gathering Storm
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2023, 13:45
Lonewolf_50

Received 415 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by fdr
PRC's manoeuvring in the Straits of Taiwan in breach of the COLREGS seems a bit silly, how long would it take to get BB-63 back out on her own bottom, she is pretty capable of separating tubs across her bows.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but the Iowa class have been stricken from the fleet; not even in mothballs. (When I was stationed at North Island, I got to take my dad (who was visiting from back East) to visit the USS Missouri, which was parked at the carrier piers at North Island. He got a real kick out of that).

FWIW, this geopolitics observer sees that Ukraine War and China/Taiwan gambit are at the meta level a part of the same movement: and if you read between the lines, highlight a crucial problem with the UN as it currently is. (Basically, it is no longer fit for purpose as a collective security organization).

He makes an interesting point that the Cold War / Cold Peace where US and China are the two poles is a very different beast from the USSR / West poles, in part due to China's maritime capability and geographic advantages, and it's being on par with the US economically, which the USSR never was.