PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odds n Sods
Thread: Odds n Sods
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2023, 08:06
Asturias56

Received 369 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by PAXboy
Yes, Ingvar Kamprad (1926-2018) was famed in this field. There was an interesting American TV series that was, I think, then also done in the UK - the CEO/MD wore a disguise and was presented to a branch as 'new recruit'. It was fascinating and, sometimes excrutiating. I should like to see every airline CEO do this - either undercover or as the KLM boss.

However, the question would be: What happens when they get back to the desk? do they just make small, local changes or do they instigate something bigger? Unfortunately, the bigger the company, the more difficult the changes become.
I shared a flat with a guy who worked at Mars in Slough in the '70's

Mr Mars Senior used to turn up from the USA, unannounced, at any hour - normally wearing a baseball cap , a windcheater jacket and old slacks. Apparently Security had a set of instructions pinned up

1. He IS the owner whatever he looks like

2. let him in and refer to him as "Mr Mars" -

3. Make sure someone goes with him - he knows the place inside out and he will head for something in the plant that he wants to investigate

4. Call these numbers - starting with the UK MD at whatever hour it is

As management dribbled in it apparently started to look like N Korea - Mars talking to the people on the machines (and operating them himself), pointedly ignoring the herd of management all following and poised with pencil and paper tot record every utterance of the Boss. The workers loved him!