PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2023, 00:00
mhurley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
31 fresh from an ATPL+Degree

Hi,

I'm an aspiring pilot, currently in the preparation and securing funds stage and aim to begin my ATPL in Summer 2024.

I realize I'm of an advanced of age, and I didn't have the best math and physics grades over a decade ago. I have been preparing for University entrance exams (for over 25) to the best polytechnic in my country with a focus on engineering and architecture. I've been hitting the books hard. I figured of I had very good marks in physics and maths on an official entrance exam it would compensate for the age and academic background.

Once I receive news of my acceptance into the university--fingers crossed--and given my official results this coming spring (usable all over my country to access public universities similar to a leaving cert or a levels for over 25) I would then take a PPL on my own for a few months just to see how it goes. I then want to apply to a cadet program (fat chance, I know) or an ATPL+Degree option at a reputable ATO.

Either of these trajectories are looking to have me be 34 or 35 at graduation. If I could just get into the assessment and interview phases at a cadet program or a big ATO, I am confident I can perform competitively. I just don't want them to toss my initial application to selection phases into the bin.

I also know most ATOs will be happy to take my money and make appeals to my dreams lol. With that in mind I figured since I'm at an age disadvantage my best bet would be to go to the big ATOs such as CAE or FTE for example--and assuming I would pass their selections and even be offered a spot.

Maybe it's a big financial risk, maybe it's my best bet.

If I cannot get into a cadet program (at 32) and go the self-sponsored route, what are the odds I'll get picked up as a second officer at a regional or a small cargo airline? A lot of those ATOs say they have official recruitment agreements, or showcase where their alumni have gone off to. They must have spent 2-3 years time building right out of the ATO with CFI and later self-funded Type Rating right? Or do pilot's get recruited our of ATOs like that?

I am sure every flavor of this same story has graced these forums but I'd love some advice, insights, takeaways from anyone's experience. Pleasantly surprising news or hard truths welcome, too