PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close Calls, SFO, SWA, Alaska, United, missing the date...28 R/L
Old 4th Jun 2023, 22:22
Equivocal

Received 28 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Concours77
I've listened to the audio record. Ground movement of one aircraft was the direct cause of two landing aircraft initiating go around.
Whilst the timeline of events may be fairly straightforward to analyse, my point is that the 'audio record' on which you base it may not reflect what was heard by any of the parties involved and thus may significantly affect the perception of the situation by each or any of them.

In your latest post you appear to make some statements and ask a number of questions - I'm a little unclear if the former are factual and can be lied upon and whether the latter are rhetorical. Some of the statements in your earlier posts don't appear substantiated by the YouTube recording, so it's unclear, to me at least, what points you are trying to make......but you obviously have something that you want others to consider.

To take one of your statements a little further, it's difficult to say whether things are 'too close' because the US uses/issues landing clearance based on the expectation that the runway will be available when the aircraft reaches it. There will be many occasions when you or I believe that things are too close, but the aircraft land safely - we tend only to hear about the ones which result in a go-around.

Finally, you seem to query the FAA's view that there was no runway incursion. One can only assume that the FAA listened to recordings and used other data that are available and came to the conclusion that, as the controller had issued a line-up clearance to SWA 1179, irrespective of whether the take-off clearance was received or not, there was no question that the presence of the aircraft on the runway was correct.