PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odds n Sods
Thread: Odds n Sods
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2023, 15:15
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
IKEA's founder and CEO was a legend in Sweden for his view modest spending. When IKEA took over Habitat they flew Y on SAS to LHR and got the tune and thena bus to the Habitat offices . He hails froma part of Sweden known for being careful with money. I worked there for three years and it was avery different experience to UK, CEO (VD Works Director ) in Swedish had 5 direct reports all labeled Chef/Chief and followed by the name of the divsion . Everyone in that divsion from the number 2 down (not the word they would use) to the team admin had the same title which just the name of the department so a very flat structure, our CEO also made a big point of asking questions about projects from the staff memebr dealing with ti not going up and down the org chart . Compare with UK or USA where there are numerous gradations and ever grander titles who often only speak with people of the same rank.
On a purely personal level I always felt there was a lot to be said for ',management by walking around' ie talking to people in their space not your office and getting feedback/ideas from experienced team members. I was interested to see this touted in a book by a well known succesful US CEO .

Whatever he did Kamprad was certainly hugely successful even though he remained very modest in his personal lifestyle although that isnt unique to him , flashing the cash is very un Swedish however much you have got

Going back to the KLM lady , kudos to her for doing it, I wonder if Willie Walsh ever did that at BA since he was a Airbus pilot for Aer Lingus before going into management
The following 3 users liked this post by pax britanica: