PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots' Pals
Thread: Pilots' Pals
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2023, 11:38
mopardave

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Geezers of Nazareth
I had a 'Pilots Pals' calendar in the late 80s (*), which I had delivered to me at work. In the office where I worked I seemed to have managed to get a 'prime desk' without really trying or asking. It was in one corner, at the end of the long office, had a nice window overlooking green fields, etc. It was considered a prime spot as you could see almost the entire length of the office, you see people approaching long before they got to you, and there was nobody behind you to look over your shoulder.
The day that the calendar was delivered it was brought to me by a young-ish lady who'd slapped a post-it note on it saying 'this degrades women'. It probably didn't help that she looked like a bulldog chewing a wasp, and had zero chance of appearing in such a calendar; she might have been useful as a wheel-chock, maybe. What probably didn't help was that I put a post-it note on top of hers saying 'Yes!'. I put the calendar face-down, still sealed in its packaging, and carried on about my business.
After lunch I came back to find it had been placed into the bin next to my desk, still in its plastic bag, still with the post-it notes attached. So, I fished it out, put it back on my desk, and carried on. I could see her giving me the evil-eye down the length of the office!

The following morning it was back in the bin again, so I made a big act of fishing it out again, but I did throw-away the post-it notes. I pinned the calendar face down, still inside its bag, onto the desk divider behind my computer screen. Just about the only place you could see the calendar was if you climbed-up a ladder and peered through the window. Apparently that was not enough for her.

A few months later she went off on a training course (basket-weaving or wimmins-studies for all I care!), so I bought her a desk calendar. It was either fireman or tyre-fitters, but all oily and sweating. She seemed to be okay with that!

(*) - I might still have it somewhere, still in its original polythene delivery packaging.
I remember appearing in a firefighters calendar! I was Mr May.........still have it. We were sick of seeing all these oiled up Greek God's in fire kit so we did our own.......the real firefighters calendar. It featured 12 blokes with paunches, bald heads or bags under their eyes. In some cases, all three combined. No, wait a minute.......one guy took it really seriously. The station cook put us up to it and she was the one responsible for the paunches! It had a (very) limited run but was great fun! Happy, happy days! As we used to say............"If you can't take a joke........................."

Last edited by mopardave; 4th Jun 2023 at 11:39. Reason: spelling