PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bankstown Light Aircraft Lane.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2004, 14:15
Matt-YSBK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could understand that reasoning ltaylor if it was consistent.

If one is to look in the ERSA under Sydney special procedures i note that the Air route know as "Victor 1" as not only mandatory reporting requirements but a designated frequency to do it on.

Where you have the BK lane which would carry more traffic and have no such procedure. Granted there is a lot more sky in the lane and the route is uni-directional however it is much easer to see a low flying aircraft in a small space on V1 then perhaps a climbing or descending aircraft in the lane. (my opinion)

A PA32R could climb in the area between the bk control zone and pennant hills through the steps with a 152 doing same in front The PA32 could be doing easy 100Kts vs the 152's 70odd I guess we all lower the nose every 500ft to lookout dont we.

Yes we are correct in the Big Sky Policy. It works well if you do the numbers. Add a good look out and the chance of you hitting someone else is small.

I wonder if that will console the families of the people that get run over by the PA32 that a simple radio call on a assigned frequency. (say the one used by V1) documented by AIP in one of the busiest traffic areas in the country would have saved there lives. "Dont worry the odds were very low they would have hit"

So i guess given this logic the V1 route does not need calls or a frequency. Lets get rid of it. (Perhasps i should go grab my ERSA perhaps they allready have)

For the Record ERSA Valid till March 18th.

FAC S - 342
F) The carriage & use of radio is mandatory. MAke an "All Stations" call joining Victoira 1, Stating Position & intentions. Pilots of opposite direction ACFT shall respond with there position. Broadcast Freq 120.8.

Am i missing something here.

An AIP or Perhasps an addition to the ERSA Entry for YSBK.
Aircraft transiting the Bankstown light aircraft lane and that are radio
equipped shall make a "Traffic Bankstown light aircraft lane" call
approaching Parramatta. Advising Aircraft type position and altitude climbing
to on 120.8 Traffic in the lane should monitor 120.8

Eg
Traffic Bankstown lane. Lance ABC is Parramatta 2000ft on climb 2500ft for
Patonga.

And on the way back.

Traffic Bankstown lane. Lance ABC is Brooklyn Bridge 2500ft on decent 1500ft
South bound.

This is close to what it says in the Sydney Basin visual pilots guide with respect to V1. It also notes in this guide that
"If you receive a reply. Work out the traffic situation between you and
the other aircraft"

All it wouldl cost would be some paper and some printing.

It could save 8 peoples lives in the PA32vs152 situation above.