PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADHD/ASD and CASA medicals
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2023, 11:12
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Here is the source of the CASA ADHD questionnaire - one of those sleazy "studies" probably funded by drug companies, that is used by equally sleazy clinics and "Doctors" in the USA to extract as much money as possible by convincing you that your child is a freak who requires daily drugging into compliance.

And the lazy sods at CASA just pick it up paraphrase it and apply it to grown ups (if you can call pilots adults). This is just disgusting. What next CASA? Hemorrhoid surveys you want that part checked for dangers to air safety?

What Are the Signs of ADD Distractibility? Symptoms of ADHD with Inattention

The first part of the ADHD test for kids covers signs of distractibility. These signs are sometimes called inattentive symptoms, or previously, ADD symptoms in children.
  1. My child has trouble paying attention.
  2. My child makes careless mistakes.
  3. It’s very difficult for my child to stay focused on homework or other tasks.
  4. My child rarely completes an activity before moving to the next activity.
  5. Even when spoken to directly, my child seems to not listen.
  6. My child is disorganized and even with my help can’t seem to learn how to become organized.
  7. My child loses things necessary for tasks or activities, such as toys, homework assignments, pencils, books, and so on.
  8. My child tries to avoid activities or does them grudgingly when they require sustained concentration and a lot of mental effort.
  9. My child frequently forgets to do things, even when constantly reminded.
  10. Even the smallest distractions throw my child off task.
  11. My child has trouble following instructions and finishing tasks.
The second part of the ADHD test for kids covers hyperactivity and impulsivity.
  1. Sometimes my child acts as if she/he is driven by a motor and is constantly “on the go.”
  2. My child always seems to be squirming in the chair or fidgeting.
  3. No matter how hard he/she tries, my child has problems remaining seated even when she/he is supposed to — he/she gets up, runs around, or climbs during class or in other situations where one should stay seated.
  4. My child talks a lot, even when she/he has nothing much to say.
  5. My child often interferes in the classroom because she/he has difficulty engaging in quiet activities without disturbing others.
  6. In class or at home, my child blurts out answers to questions before they are fully asked.
  7. My child has difficulty waiting patiently to take turns, and frequently butts ahead in lines or grabs toys from playmates.
  8. Sometimes my child seems intrusive. She/he interrupts constantly other peoples’ activities, conversations, and games.
If you checked off five or more symptoms — and these symptoms have been a persistent problem interfering in your child’s life at home and at school — he or she may have attention deficit disorder. It would be prudent to talk with a physician or a licensed mental health practitioner.

Take this form with you to the doctor’s office. Treatments are available for ADHD in children that can reduce substantially these neurologically based behaviors.
Same questions.

https://www.additudemag.com/adhd-test-for-kids/

And get this; AVMED may have just latched on to the latest money making medical fad, like sleep Apnoea and RSI....remember the RSI epidemic??????

Overdiagnosis of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Children and AdolescentsA Systematic Scoping Review

Luise Kazda, MPH1; Katy Bell, PhD1; Rae Thomas, PhD2; et al

Is Adult Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Being Overdiagnosed?

Joel Paris, MD,1 Venkat Bhat, MD,2 and Brett Thombs, PhD3

This review offers a perspective on the question as to whether attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is being overdiagnosed in adults. Considering underlying causes as well as consequences, we conclude that the diagnosis of adult ADHD should be made cautiously, making use of multiple sources of information, including self-report, clinical interviews, collateral information, childhood documentation, and neuropsychological testing. Routine screening with symptom checklists is insufficient, and stimulant response is diagnostically uninformative. The causes of overdiagnosis may include changes in diagnostic thresholds, poor diagnostic practices, and advertising by the pharmaceutical industry. Overdiagnosis leads to overtreatment, and dramatic increases in prescriptions for adult ADHD during the last decade should arouse concern.

Keywords: overdiagnosis, adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorderOverdiagnosis in psychiatry occurs where patients are identified with a mental disorder when they do not have significant impairment and would not be expected to benefit from treatment.1 These problems can arise even when diagnostic criteria are met, that is, in the presence of milder symptoms that fall close to, or within, a normal range on a diagnostic spectrum.2 Overdiagnosis can lead to unnecessary labelling, unneeded tests, unnecessary therapies, and inflated health care costs.1 In medicine, with the best of intentions, practice has come to favour more tests and more treatments, all of which tend to drive overdiagnosis.2 This problem may be worsened by a prevailing cultural ethos that more is better.1

AVMED - Physician heal thyself..

Last edited by Sunfish; 2nd Jun 2023 at 11:41.