PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ‘Stop choosing useless white male pilots’, RAF told
Old 2nd Jun 2023, 08:56
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
BV,
I would suggest that as the RAF has not raised its maximum age for Pilot applications, there are still enough enthusiastic, eligible and qualified individuals applying (when the windows are open that is) and willing to suffer the currently sclerotic and torturous journey that is MFTS to fly one of His Majesty's aircraft…When Wigston started off on this crusade (can we say that?) I was fully supportive. The RAF of the future doesn't need the same skill sets as the RAF of the 1970s. The aircraft are far easier to fly, but the mission complexity and systems have become far more difficult to manage and master. We need less pure 'stick and rudder' aptitude and more STEM-based capacity and SA. My own kids are, currently, doing well at Uni - including in STEM subjects such as computing/digital technology and have not the merest flicker of interest in serving. The Armed Forces are facing a stiff challenge for these youngsters from IT, communications and Social Media companies - in fact my son received a 'cadetship' from a major tech firm, which paid him a salary at Uni and covered his tuition fees. Four years, good degree, starting salary north of £35k and no student debt. For somebody that doesn't want to 'march up and down the square', it's a compelling offer. I had hoped Wigston's mission was to encourage and target STEM individuals to run our cyber capabilities, operate our AI-supported battle networks and operate (note, not 'fly') the Combat platforms of the future - and to go into areas of our society, including BAME groups, that have traditionally not considered the RAF as a viable, indeed 'respectable', career to find them. Sadly, my ignorance is laid bare. It's clearly little more than an attempt for a conspiracy of officers, throughout the CoC, to find a bandwagon to leap on to accelerate their careers by filling utterly arbitrary targets to enable KPIs on OJARs to be 'ticked' and for ex-CAS to preen himself in front of his political masters…and in doing so, it does little if anything to further the cause of equality in the Service.
The following 3 users liked this post by Evalu8ter: