PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin Otter (N153QS) ditches into Pacific Ocean
Old 2nd Jun 2023, 03:31
V1... Ooops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MakeItHappenCaptain
The factory manual has a supplement that approves 40% overweight...
No, the supplement does not "approve" operations above the certified MTOW of 12,500 pounds. The supplement provides performance data for overweight operations, but it is always the responsibility (and legal obligation) of the operator to obtain written approval for any overweight operations from the appropriate regulatory authority (or authorities, if the flight is international) before conducting such a flight.

How do I know this for sure? Because I wrote the AFM and the supplements for the DHC-6 Series 300 and 400. FWIW, I also delivered that aircraft from the factory to the operator when it was new.
...the Twotter is about the only GA level aircraft that is “factory certified” to carry this amount [referring to overweight operations].
As noted above, there is no factory certification of any kind for overweight operations. The manufacturer provides performance information to enable planning for ferry flights. It is the responsibility of the operator to obtain regulatory approval for each and every overweight flight.
No CVR on DHC-6.
A CVR is standard equipment on Series 400 Twin Otters, every one that ever left the factory was equipped with both a CVR and a FDR.
Originally Posted by autorough23
...as the aircraft exhausted the fuel in the mains (wings) the CG moved aft. The aircraft must have been difficult to control (in pitch).
The main fuel tanks of the Twin Otter are located in the fuselage, below the cabin floor. Optional wing tanks are located at the end of each wing.

The change in CG between full fuel (with or without wing tanks) and empty fuel is negligible and normally does not need to be considered as long as the fuel load was equal (front/rear) to begin with, and fuel is consumed equally from each tank.

The following users liked this post: