PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ‘Stop choosing useless white male pilots’, RAF told
Old 1st Jun 2023, 10:30
gsa

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by m0nkfish
I think define the problem first, then identify a solution. If the military is just not seen as a good cultural fit for some minority groups then one could ask if a problem actually exists. For the record, I think a problem exists if an individual wants to join an organisation but finds they are treated differently and selection is made more difficult because of either their gender, religion or race.

If a lot of minority group candidates are not making the grade because they are either lacking in aptitude or academic ability then this is a problem that is not going to be solved by the RAF without recourse to racist recruitment policies. The problem should be passed back to Government who need to engage schools and colleges to undertake a similar process to identify where these groups are being disadvantaged.
My view with the lack of recruits is the whole, and I’m sorry to have to say it, Old Boys Club attitude in the military. We all know that the RAF are a white middle class organisation and you can’t change 100 years of history overnight or without causing headlines.

We have a 15 year old girl, she’s bright, works hard at school and is in the air cadets and her aim was to go to the RAF as a pilot and we give her as much encouragement as we can. BUT she lost all interest when a Corporal on the Typhoon display team said to her last year “ You’ll never fly with the RAF as you’re a girl”

Anybody with the ability should be encouraged to apply and not be penalised by Sex, Colour or Gender but they shouldn’t be given any special treatment and there should be a level playing field for them all. This isn’t the 40s or even the 80s, times have changed and people have to really get over the prejudices of the past and move on.
The following 3 users liked this post by gsa: