PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A CASA Christmas Present Again?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2023, 02:17
43Inches

Received 425 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Clinton McKenzie
So you're saying that there is no pilot out there - not one - flying e.g. under the auspices of RAAus who meets the Class 1 or Class 2 medical standard but just doesn't have a piece of squashed tree from CASA saying so? You're saying that - by some magical process - a person's physical and mental state can be changed by what's in the head of someone sitting at a desk in Canberra?

I understand the legal arguments you're making. I'm making arguments about the immutable laws of physics.
I agree with you, that the conditions may have nothing to do with air safety, but as it's written CASA decides what is legal for CASA issued licences. So unless its a medical condition as outlined in regs where you don't have to disclose, such as cold and flu lasting less than 7 days or whatever, the rest has to be reported. If something were to go to civil court regarding costs the prosecutor can get all sorts of quacks to prove a non related condition as related, so it is in a persons interest to disclose and be 'certified' fit.

I also know that a number of pilots defer certain care as they know it will be problematic for their medical to proceed. So they 'postpone' seeking treatment, which as we know can be life threatening. This is a direct result of the regulations being unforgiving and cumbersome. I know if I report a mental illness I will be grounded indefinitely, then have to jump through CASA hoops to re-certify, because it's all via secret AvMed discussions I have no idea if and when I can get back to work. Where in reality the decision should be the sole domain of the pilot and their medical professionals to decide, provide a written report to CASA that everything's fine and move on. Therefore the pilot knows they can seek treatment, be cured and get back to work when they know they are ready, which can all be planned.

Last edited by 43Inches; 1st Jun 2023 at 02:29.