PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAtlantic Balloon crossing
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2023, 19:18
roquefort01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TransAtlantic Balloon crossing

For all North Atlantic Nat-trackers and others.

Ladies and gentlemen,

For those of you plying the North Atlantic over the next few weeks, please be advised that there will hopefully be an attempt to cross west to east by a helium balloon commanded by Deborah (Debbie) Scholes with her partially-sighted husband as crew-mate. The balloon is the first in its class, R77GB and is registered as G-ZOZO. It can be flown as a gas balloon or for the Atlantic crossing, with the cone fitted, as a Rozier balloon. A Rozier balloon gains its lift from a helium cell in its top. Altitude is controlled by a small propane-fired burner that warms the air in the cone below the gas cell. A satellite tracker will enable everyone to watch the balloon’s progress. You can read all about the proposed crossing by googling transatlanticballoonchallenge

Departure will be from Sussex, New Brunswick and is of course wind and weather conditional, but the target date is June 7th, and the crossing may take up to 6 days.

Being an ex Nat-Tracker myself, (long-retired now), I`ve told Debbie about 123.45 and she knows about 121.5 of course, so you may just hear her making a request for a radio relay as you to or fro. I`m sure you`ll help.

Other ladies have made the crossing by balloon, but it`s believed Debbie will be the first to do so `in command`.

Many thanks!