PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin Otter (N153QS) ditches into Pacific Ocean
Old 29th May 2023, 22:54
septuganarian

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by autorough23
I've flown several crossings from California to/from Hawaii.

The aircraft was loaded with fuel for a ferry flight. The fuel system did not function as designed and could not deliver fuel to the aircraft. The pilots were limited to the fuel in the main tanks, which was the farthest forward fuel most likely.

As a result, as the aircraft exhausted the fuel in the mains (wings) the CG moved aft. The aircraft must have been difficult to control (in pitch).

There are pictures of N153QS on floats and wheels. No reliable source has told us if the aircraft was on floats. I agree with those who guess the floats were taken off and shipped, but the aircraft floating inverted suggests the floats might have been on the plane.

IF the aircraft was on floats, AND they were successful in landing on the floats, the CG was so far aft that the aircraft would probably have sank tail first after landing.

I ferried a light twin out of Oakland to Honolulu. I can't imagine someone installing a ferry fuel system and then loading up the aircraft with all that fuel before testing the ferry system. That would take a little extra time and money, but it is better than landing a VERY heavy plane loaded with fuel.

This story brings back lots of memories. I'm sure other pilots who have made that crossing have been thinking about this.
Factory fuel in a twin otter is in the fuselage below the cabin floor, Not in the wings,(unless it is fitted with STC wing fuel cells)