PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Spends $100 Million to Help Prevent Runway Accidents
Old 29th May 2023, 15:29
oceancrosser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly $100 million dollars is not going to fix a whole lot of taxiways. And US ATCOs are probably not going to change much in what remains of my career. FF mentioned ORD and SFO. Yes, ORD is a zoo any day of the week, especially on the ground. Taxiing there IMHO can be the hardest part. How difficult is a “RWY HDG 5000 vectors to POINT” SID to brief? Granted SFO SIDs can be a lot more complicated. But in general I like the simple US SIDs, initial departure heading and vectors to a fix. Some European airports have a maze of departures for every single runway. LHR has detailed SIDs you never really fly, because one is assigned a heading until cruise level more or less.
Getting the runway and SID into the FMS on a Boeing takes seconds (dunno about Airbus). T/O perf calculation methods vary wildly between operators and I am sure some of those are unncessarily complicated. Finding the charts? Well if more than one runway are being used for departures per ATIS, the appropriate charts will already be on my “clip”.
Sure phraseology could improve. Much. But I also wish AMS controllers (specifically the ground controllers) used standard ICAO phraseology. You never know what to expect at AMS, and the have charted taxi directions, but use them anyway they want and do not specifically tell you.
And I am a European pilot.