PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On the 30th of May 1973 the First RAF Jaguar was delivered to the OCU and so began
Old 29th May 2023, 12:26
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
I absolutely loved reading whatever bill Gunston wrote, but he is wrong here! There is no way on earth that a Jaguar could carry 22,000 lbs of bombs to Berlin from the UK, or indeed from anywhere to anywhere...

With wing fuel tanks, an ecm pod and a chaff flare pod and maybe an AIM-9 it could carry precisely TWO 1,000 lb bombs to Berlin.
what if it taxied? Dover-Berlin... its 646 miles, baby ones, 11 1/2 hours at car speeds, so say, double that... tea stops, supper, snacks, rest room, etc... run of euro diesel, they will take a credit card... it'll fit under most bridges, after the first one, it certainly will after the first one. Not much longer than a Lanc in '43, a fair bit safer, and no chance of getting a speeding ticket with the amount of thrust that was put into the Adour's.

I think it was a pretty aircraft, a fitting follow on for the Hunter, and then you are back to Sea Furies and Mk IX's to find a really pretty plane. Or the B version DH-98's. It's litter lived on, kind of in the Japanese T-2 trainer/F-1 something or other which were euthanised in 2006 anyhow.

One of these is not like the other...
two have electrics that were fitted to my XKR,
one has pedals from a well known 4WD and a drink holder, and the last one is for dictators afflicted with ADHD and antisocial tendencies needing practice at conducting war crimes.

The following users liked this post: