PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On the 30th of May 1973 the First RAF Jaguar was delivered to the OCU and so began
Old 29th May 2023, 05:33
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 117 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by X767
I first flew the lovely Jaguar on 18 Oct 1973, as Flt Cdr on No I Sqn Jaguar OCU at RAF Lossiemouth. I then took command of 1 Sqn in June 1975. Over a year later posted as Flt Cdr on 41 Sqn at RAF Coltishall and finished my Jaguar flying on Mar 2 1979 with just over 1000 hours.
The aircraft fulfilled a vital role in the RAF at the time and was a delight to fly and operate ( as a pilot) but I remember by ground crew having mixed feelings trying to maintain her !
"Mixed feelings " summates maintaining the Jag perfectly.

On the Line, very easy and somebody had obviously given some thought to access...the brake unit held on by a circlip was innovative shall we say, however, a wheel or brake change wasn't that simple due to no jacking points on the u/c. which tended to be time consuming Another little quirk was having to rotate the engine, mid lift in / out, which I never really felt comfortable with and, strangely, the very slender cable when doing a battery change.

For 2nd line, or Depth as its now kindly referred to, fuel tank access was "difficult "....however, a special, very special mention, goes to whoever decided it would be a terribly good idea to provide the titanium heat shields...., without pilot holes and oversized.!

Found the back seat rides to be very comfortable and stable at LL when flying in what would be termed " a good gliding day " conditions.

Overall, the Jag was a winner.