PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin Otter crash
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2023, 20:48
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bksmithca
Having spent ten years working and flying on the CC138 Twin Otters operated by the RCAF they are not pressurized. Any flights over 12,000 ft the crew and pessangers were required to be on oxygen. The twins are fitted with onboard oxygen but the only time I was over 12,000 was when we were kicking the Skyhawks out for demonstrations.
According to FlightAware, these chaps were in cruise at 12,000 feet, and dropped down (on the way back) to 4,000 to scudrun a marine layer trying to get back to Half Moon Bay, keeping the Ocean visual. Anticipating a ditching... (that last from Juan Browne at Blancolirio)...

I'm guessing the aircraft did not have pressurization. Wouldn't a higher have been better on gas?

Add.. flown from Half Moon Bay many years.
He may have gotten a brief from locals, but it's likely the layer was offshore by 2 pm. From 12,000 at HMB, he could have almost glided to San Carlos...just sayin'....besides, the HMB runway is between two ridges, and frequently visual even if the layer is inland...

so very sorry for the friends and families...
Know that these two had the courage to fly this mission...I've been flying since 1972, I don't have what it takes to fly that route...

Last edited by Concours77; 28th May 2023 at 21:02.