PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eject! Eject! - John Nichol
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2023, 14:36
PICKS135

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nichol
Thanks for this. A mis-ID from me on early helmets! Though I asked for a good reason - one of the stories I cover in the book is Charlie Neel, the USAF exchange officer on Lightnings. When he ejected (flying alongside Chris Coville - later 'AM Sir Chris') he was wearing his USAF helmet adapted with UK fittings, and his USAF boots. He got a bit of a kicking for this at the Board of Inquiry.

Interestingly, Charlie's replacement on 5 Sqn was Capt William Schaffner - subject of another recent thread here about a 'non-ejection' and UFOs.....

And Charlie had PREVIOUSLY ejected from a F-100 in Vietnam with Guy Grutrers and been rescued (incredible combat recovery under fire). Gruters then ejected AGAIN a few weeks later, was captured and spent 5 1/2 years in Hell as a PoW.

Ejecting certainly can be, just the start of a journey!
We had a USAF pilot on 43[F] Sqn in 82 who flew in his USAF issue helmet with UK electrics/O2 mask hooks. When we told him we weren't to sure of the integrity of it, due to the camo tape, he took an aircraft to Alconbury and got a new helmet. Minus the camo tape. Apparently he found the Mk4a too heavy. the internals were all signed off by the 'Big Boys' at Farnborough apparently.
The following users liked this post: